Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Default Gradient in Ultra Fractal

It never occurred to me until today that part of the genius within the Ultra Fractal program is the gradient provided. All you need to do is open the program to be presented with the blue, then apply a coloring to the Mandelbrot and the other colors - red, orange and white - become apparent.

I recall thinking that these were pretty garrish colors the first time I opened the program and couldn't wait to learn how to change them. This was back in the day of Ultra Fractal 3. As I learned more and more of the mechanics of using the program, I decided that using the default gradient would be a good learning experience. One of the things I learned was that the default gradient and the difference merge mode get along quite well. Somehow the jewel tones produced using difference are always pleasing.

Since that time, I find myself using that gradient for inspiration. Here is a little something I cooked up that uses the General Tent Julia formula and the Orbit Traps coloring. Thanks, Frederik, for the chance for folks like me to create pretty graphics. For me, the genius is in the coloring. I leave the math to those who know what they're doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers